Wednesday, October 22, 2014
1. Portland, Oregon: It hosts the World Beard and Mustache Championships on Oct. 25. Contestants twist, curl and wax their facial hair into spectacular formations (some with flowers, like this).
2. Budapest, Hungary: The nation has such renowned 'staches it gets its own bushy category at the World Championships. Travel to Budapest, home of the Hungarian Moustache Society, and you'll see the lady ticklers firsthand.
3. London, England: Have a "hirsute appendage of the upper lip, with graspable extremities"? That's the qualification for membership in the Handlebar Club. Join the gents achieving mustache excellence at monthly meetings in a Marylebone pub.
4. Trondheim, Norway: Epic mustache history here. It's Norway's Viking capital - the very dudes who originated badass whiskers. It's headquarters of the Norwegian Mustache Club. And Trondheim has twice held the World Championships.
5. Liverpool, England: A mustache museum! OK, officially it's Merseyside Maritime Museum with a "Mustaches from the Past" exhibit. Most go walrus style.